Friday, February 4, 2011

What Is The Truth?

There is an urban expression these days that says, "Keep it one hundred", which means kep it totally legit and real and truthful. What does that really mean? Does it really reflect the truth? Most people in court cases raise their hand and swear to tell the truth and nothing but the truth, and with the smoking gun in their possession will say they are not guilty. Are they keeping it one hundred?
Is the truth what really happened or what you want people to believe what happened?
Can people sometimes lie so much that they turn their lies into truth, their truth, but the absolute, unequivocal truth.
I recall one time when I was in grade school and in the gym class someone stole another student's watch. The Physical Education teacher decided he would paddle the whole class to gain the truth as to who was the culprit of stealing the watch. He made us all line-up and proceed past him to receive our swats. This processional was to continue over and over until sore buns would cause someone to break and give up the thief.
When it was my turn, I declared to the teacher that I refused to take the licks on my ass because I didn't steal the watch and therefore would not take punishment for something I hadn't done.
The teacher then sent my deviant arse to the principal's office. The principal was stunned to see me there and wanted to know my side of the story. I told him I knew who stole the watch, but it wasn't my place to reveal the thief or take paddle licks for someone elses bad deed.
My mom was called to the school and there was a big meeting in the principal's office.
I was encouraged by my mother to tell the truth. In some respects, my classmates liked me, because my act of civil disobedience halted the mass paddling, but on the other hand, would I be tainted as a snitch.
I did the right thing - I ratted out the thief. The watch was returned to the rightful owner and the bad boy was duly punished, and hated me from thenceforth.
When he was confronted about taking the watch, he denied it.
I surmise that the truth is what really happened, but truth can also be slanted by perspective on a situation.
In legal cases, the state must prove its case in order to win a conviction, but all convictions are not always reflective of the truth.
O.J. Simpson is in jail over some b.s., but escaped a conviction over two murders that he committed. Rapper Shyne served 10 years in jail for a shooting at a nightclub in NY whilst in the entourage with Diddy and JLo, but Diddy also fired a gun, but escaped conviction.
The truth can be smoke-screened by money in criminal cases with clever lawyering.
Some may say, no harm - no foul.
They say the truth will set you free, ha, it can also be the difference between life and death, freedom or incarceration, so what the hell were you free from, LOL
Perhaps your own sense of conscience - but wait, does everyone have one of those?
I say the truth is whatever you declare it to be, just remember your truth may not be someone elses.

No comments:

Post a Comment