Monday, January 10, 2011

LOVE LETTERS - R.Kelly, r&b music's crowning moment

I had sworn off Robert Kelly, the singer/songwriter/producer from Chicago quite awhile ago.
I was not impressed with his recent output until now. LOVE LETTERS, from a purely musical aspect is the "it" of r&b albums.
I gave all of my Kelly albums away recently because of my disdain for his personal desires for young girls, but after having my arm twisted by a few of my musical co-horts and my niece, I decided to give this project a try.
I am so glad I did.
This album is like a walk through soulville - with Kelly channeling Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, Michael Jackson and Babyface all in his vocal skills. He even visits the stylings of early Motown with a duet song with a female singer that recalls the days of Gaye and Tammi Terrell.
This is by far the best r&b album I have heard in the last 5 or so years.
I strongly recommend it for all r&b music lovers. It was great road backdrop for me and Zay on our recent trip.

Honorable mention to the new Tank album NOW OR NEVER.
R&B music is making a comeback - yeah!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment